0
Posted on 3:50 PM by Hamid and filed under

Repair Incomplete or Corrupted Files

I used to send partially-downloaded AVI files to the recycle bin until I stumbled upon Digital Video Repair.

It  helps repair incomplete  AVI files downloaded from P2P sites and also incomplete torrent files. It could also fix an incomplete AVI file from a DVD Rip.

First you input the file and DVR immediately reveals the status of the file.

You can see from the screenshot above that the incomplete AVI file that I input was damaged.

I press the Repair! button.

DVR checks the file.

It then starts repairing it. At the end of the repairing process it makes another copy of the file and places it in the same directory.

For a freeware it does an exceptionally good job although it was unable to recognise a few partially-downloaded AVI files.

Problems With Incomplete AVI Files

Now.the thing with partially-downloaded AVI files is that they can freeze with certain players. But it worked well with the VLC player. However, I could not use the seek feature, meaning I couldn't fastforward it while it was playing. When I did  the whole movie froze. Windows Media Player would not play the file at all citing no codecs available for it.

After repairing the file with  DVR I could fastforward and rewind with VLC !

Editing an Incomplete AVI File

The next thing I did was to try to edit the repaired AVI.  Magix Movie edit pro could not import it. Even AVCutty could not accept it citing invalid format.

So, how did I go about editing the repaired file? I converted the AVI file into a MPEG1 file with IMtoo Converter after which I used Magix Edit Pro,to edit and output it to VCD!

What was an unusable file is now functional, never mind if it's incomplete.

Something is better than nothing.

PS. I could not test out corrupted AVI files because I had none available. Maybe you could give a try and let me know the outcome.

Download Digital Video Repair

Stumble Upon Toolbar
0
Responses to ... Rescue Your AVI Clips With Digital Video Repair

Post a Comment